Monday, January 31, 2011

Devoted 131

Cutting My Own Hair

But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. -2 Timothy 3:14-17

I woke up this morning after having the craziest dream. I dreamt that part of my hair accidentally got cut and I had to cut the rest of it to make it to look good. In my dream, I spent a lot of time trying to find a trimmer. After I found the trimmer, I did cut my own hair, but I missed all kinds of places and it ended up looking terrible. At that point, my wife called and said she was on the way home. It looked like everything was headed for complete disaster. All of a sudden, I woke up and was very happy to learn my hair was still intact and even.

There are some things that we shouldn't do on our own- like cutting our hair. Things like that are best left to the people who know how to do that stuff. But reading and growing in the Bible is not one of those things. We should be spending time alone in the scriptures reading, studying, and feeding ourselves. At first it can seem strange and a little awkward, but the more you do it, the more you get out of it.

We can't survive by living only on the spiritual food we get from church services on Sunday and Wednesday. If we only ate physical food twice a week, we wouldn't be able to accomplish much. The same is true with scripture. Spiritually feed yourself all week, and then you will feast during the worship services. You'll find that you will be able to accomplish a lot more than you knew possible.

-Steve
(www.tddm.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment